Thursday, January 8, 2009

Fashion

As a history note, I wanted to mention fashion in a strictly cool-with-my-heterosexuality sort of way, as well as include a few fashion photos for those of you who were not born yet, but are still old enough to drink, vote, and kill foreigner. But when I looked for 70's fashion on the internet, this was what I found. I'm serious.
I personally don't remember dressing this way.

Wikipedia has this photo of Vance and some chick wearing a "crop top", and this is getting a little closer. Note the lack of a belt on the trousers though. In mid-70s Albuquerque, anyone who went without a belt, especially a wide leather belt with a heavy buckle, would have been found buried in the desert. (The fate for using the word "trousers" was probably even greater.

We stole this family photo one night at a party in the heights. We don't know them, but their complete lack of taste (note the plaid pants) indicates that they were "hip" in the 70s.

Some of us were just a bit hipper than others, as Martin's Eldorado High School yearbook photo shows...

Guys like the fellow in the middle, while denounced as a total homo-wad for his prissy attire, probably got ten times the ass any of the rest of us did.

On the whole, regardless of how we dressed, this was the face all teenage males saw staring back from the mirror each evening....

5 comments:

  1. Fashion, now you are in my wheelhouse. Nothing was more disturbing than seeing me in my Angel Flight double-knit slacks with a polyester print shirt unbuttoned half way down. But when I went to the "BIG Apple", the black disco club on Central ave., I was the total stud. It took me hours to figure out which side to perch my "package" for the maximum effect.The thought of it is disturbing on so many levels. My fashion sense was honed in Memphis, home of "THE KING" ya know.It all started so pure with the elephant bells (it was required that you could not see your shoes while wearing these things) and on top of that they were hip-huggers to boot! I was a denim clad God with a 2" zipper. But by day, I was the total geek at Christian Brothers High School with the button down shirt and tie. Brother Adrian was always scolding me for the sin of "Mr. Deniston, button your collar up." Just to F with the brothers we would take our 4" wide tie and fashion it in a way that our tie was only about 7" long. What a retard look. A knot at the neck line that was as big as a grapefruit with the "shorty" tie. I was truely a Rebel without a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother, we need photos of those fashions. Seriously.

    I just remembered that I have a photo of me in a three piece disco suit -- possibly with platforms -- from 1977. I'll have to dig that out and post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So influential...while the other girls went to school in the 80s dressed like Madonna, I showed up every day in your old clothes. And bellbottoms. No wonder I never had a date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes sense. It also explains why I never had a date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two are being to hard on yourselves. Ricks I don't give a F... dress style was just an expression of nonconformest guys. Jen, you just wanted to be comfortable. Thanks for at least wearing bellbottoms, your normal dress code for around the house was a button down guys shirt and underwear. Thankfully the shirt was about 4 sizes too big and covered everthing well. Not that I was looking or anything, that would be just wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick