Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A note to n00bs and historians

In case anyone is coming here expecting the truth - which none of you can handle anyway - you should know you'll come away sadly mistaken. Or at least 50% sadly mistaken.

You'll need to get on boots - tall ones - before wading into this cow byre of memoir. In the modern parlance, this is known as Creative Non-Fiction. Thirty-five or so years ago, Bill Cardoso dubbed it Gonzo Journalism to describe the style of reporting used by the (now) late Hunter S. Thompson.

Now, what Vance and I did - at least in the original book - was to create a melange of words, drawings, and photos that reported on our progress. Progress was ostensibly meant to refer to achieving our goal of raising the money to go to Memphis. A close scholarly reading of these manuscripts, at least at the end of the first decade of the 21st century, is more likely to reveal a Progress towards the frightening world of adulthood; a world some of us didn't actually enter until at least our 40s. Even then, it was more of a vacation destination.

The continued remaining Moonpie documents are a portrayal of a wild, even vicious time. Our paths diverged and converged over the years like a double-helix strand of DNA. The diverging was especially true of Vance and I. Other friends, Martin, Jones, Blane (Vance's brother) Schactner, Lewis, Corbin, Lampson, the Eskew brothers, etc, seemed to stay in a revolving circle of contact and friendship. I guess. I've been back in this town since 1982, and I've only run into any of them once in all that time, and that was a deliberate meeting, so I really don't have much of a clue as to what goes on a round here. But those people, those are the people who became the Stormtroopers. Vance and I seem to come back into contact with one another about once every seven years.

But, as is my wont, I digress. My point is that the creation of the Moonpie experience was based on making shit up as well as reporting it as it happened (with a buffer of eight hours to sleep off whatever was consumed while "it" was happening.)

One further note is that we've all done our 50 trips around the sun. We're getting up there. Memories do tend to fade out. Or we remember a better way for things to have happened... "Dude, I had hair down to my ass and one night I drank an entire keg of beer and smoked a half-pound of weed, ate sixteen tabs of acid, and snorted a dozen lines of blow and then got it on with ten teenyboppers named Gretchen. I shit you not."

Here's your grain of salt, chums. Take it while reading.

3 comments:

  1. The original Moonpie, faded, dog-eared and missing some photos has actually made it into a box along with Moonpie II. Included are various other photos that have not seen the light of day for years. A picture of Rick doing a wheelie on a frigin' 10-speed, young Army Rick and Rick with young sidekick, Tonto Deniston. You really begin to understand that what we did back then was either pure genius or the product of a couple of guys that wouldn't lay down and let one second of life pass them by. Road trips, concerts, Cochiti Lake and Areosmith. Putting this stuff in a box to send west made me feel weird, like I was handling something sacred. Where have the years gone? What will the next year bring? Let me say it now, in case I'm hit by a comet on the way home, that I have loved this trip and would change almost every decision I have ever made in the last 33 years!

    Larry King, " Vance is crazy, right?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like one of them friggin' Tontine things. Like all these guys kick in on a case of wine. The last guy living gets the wine. Tis was also done on The Simpsons, where Grandpa and Mr. Burns were the last surviving members of the Fighting Hellfish.

    But here it is. Just some books. Probably the only thing either of us has had since high school days. Just some books. Nothing more than a lot of people might have -- photos, etc. Just some fucking books.

    But somehow there is something more to them.

    Ditto to the decision-changing comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. History is what you make it. Don't lay around waiting for an event to happen, MAKE an event happen.

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick