Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Bongs in the Cave

In comments on the previous post, we discussed bongs and other paraphernalia. These two photos are from a trip Vance and I took to Red River in 1979, just after I got back from Germany. We stayed with a friend of Vance's who lived in an abandoned gold mine. (I'll let Vance tell that story.)

Anywhoooo, circled, you will see one of the bongs I purchased from the General Store with the money I got when I got out of the Army. It was blue ceramic, pistol-grip. Around the bowl was a sort of tray, or storage area for "tobacco" so you didn't have to expend too much effort for your next hit by having to reach anywhere.

The other photo (which is actually a photo of a photo) shows Vance sitting in the entrance of the gold mine. It's not the sharpest of images, but one can plainly see what is either an oddly-placed erection, or a bong, between his legs.

Note also, the macrame wall-hanging in the upper right corner, clearly establishing this as an image from the late 1970's era. (Had it been earlier, the macrame would still be in a university-area apartment and/or would have held a pothos, or some other hanging plant.)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, yes. Red River and the abandoned mine. Some fun-facts about said mine. 1) you could place a bag of ice to the rear of the cave and it would last for 5 to 6 days without melting. 2) A make-shift 'patio' was built at the entrance with timbers and slag stone to provide roughly a 12' circle to stand. 3)When standing at said entrance at night and a full moon comes over the next ridge, don't say anything stupid to the moon. I tried this "once" and promptly lost my footing and began a quick trip down the slag slide with an open bottle of Jack Daniels in my hand. Ass over tea-kettle I went. When I came to a stop, I relized that I had not spilled one drop of whiskey. I climbed back to the top, shared a drink with Rick and promptly shut my mouth as I gazed at the moon with quick glance to the side with cut eyes. Grrrrr... Steve. Thats the guy that lived in the mine. He and I had to move there when Glen, then owner of the Riverview cafe, let us go for being a bit to rowdy. What do you expect from a cook and a dishwasher earning $50.00 a week and room and board while living in a mining town. For Christs sake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While living in Red River, I did get to see Willis Alan Ramsey preform at the festival. Good times. Tim and I were camping overnight at the ski area where the event was being held. We were there to 'watch' the food stand overnight. The Sheriff pulled through about 10:00pm to check all the booths and stopped to chat. We offered him a beer, but he said he was on duty. He then pulled a fat doobie out of his pocket and we all fired up. I loved New Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Yeah, we are a unique state for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick