Saturday, March 21, 2009

My 4th vehicle

When I saw the post of Ricks truck I almost spit my coffee all over the computer. I also had an industrial type truck in the 80's and it is the Travel-all I traded for the Norton motorcycle. This is a '73 but mine was a '70 International that I bought from a jeweler who was living at "The HiWay House Motel" on Central Ave. in Albuquerque. Mine was decked out with all the New Mexico trimmings of the day. This included, but not limited to, the canvas water-bag (filled) hanging from the side mirror, a lantern hanging from the roof inside in the back and complete set of Indian and Mexican blankets for the overnight stays, wherever I might be. The International had some type of rear-end that would engage the second drive wheel if one started to spin and was equipped with TALL tires that nothing would stop. The options ended with wipers and a heater, that's it. I loved that beast of a truck and traded it to 'Buster' who lived in the Manzanos up off of south 14 in the heart of 'plague' land. I dropped off the truck and rode the Norton back to town with no license plate, lights or brakes. I miss that truck.

2 comments:

  1. When I drove a cab in the mid-80s, we had a drive -- old grizzly bear looking dude -- that lived out in the Manzanos. He had two cars, a Camaro (iirc) and Travelall. When it snowed, He couldn't get out of his driveway in the Camaro. Problem was that,if he drove the Travelall, he couldn't eat that day because that monster got something like 30 gallons to the mile.

    "Beans and tortas for me this week, bro," was how he'd describe his budgetary restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The guy I traded to in the Manzanos had a similar problem. When it rained, nothing he had would get him to the paved highway due to the mud. His drive way was (ready for this) a five year layering of pallets and carpet remnants that he would drag back from Albuquerque. The section in front of his mobile home(no water, no electric) was about 80' long, 30' wide and 2' deep in pallets and rugs.

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick