Monday, February 9, 2009

What we've done for work

"It's real slow, just mostly street people are out," said Rick Raab-Faber, a Taxi-driver who was hoping to find some business at the airport. "It's boring. I feel like falling asleep." ~ Albuquerque Journal Article

"Damn that Rick! He knows he's not supposed to be sleeping in the cabs!" ~ Albuquerque Cab. Co. Owner, Baheej Hindi, after reading the above-mentioned article


A real one this time! (OK, Vance's typewriter repair gig was real.)Back in the mid 80's (85-88) I drove a cab in Albuquerque. Oh the stories I could tell. Volunteering to drive an all night shift because a customer gave me several lines of meth packed into a capsule. Snorting coke off the radio. Smoking a joint and being so stoned that halfway through the run I forgot where I was going, but was too embarrassed to look down at my trip-sheet to see. Driving three guys around town who were trying to cash $30,000 in cashiers checks -- proceeds from a gold theft ring. (I didn't find out that's what was going on until a month later,when John Law showed up at my door.

Actually the girlfriends I had during this phase where some of the more interesting ones. One was a psychopath with a black-powder pistol, a parakeet, and a death wish. The other was a dancer at an adults only establishment.

This was pretty much the last time I had hair too.

2 comments:

  1. Ricks photo remindes me of one like you'd see in a movie. They pull out a grainy picture from an envolope and say, "heres your man." Rick was 'shabby sheik' before that was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally. And I'm still like that now that it's not cool again.

    Dressing up is for chumps.

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick