Friday, February 13, 2009

I just got finished watching 3 episodes of That 70's Show and relized something. Rick was Hyde and I was Eric. Rick was that kid who wasn't impressed with the social scene as the world saw it and I was home with a kookie mom and a dad who called us dumb-asses. But that was also a great time to be a teenager. Blow a doobie and the watch Barney Miller with dad. We laughed our ass off and dad wasn't sure why I thought the show was so funny. We cruised in the Buick stationwagon full of kids and just jammed out to the tunes. Blane and I had moms hand-me-down wagon and it was great. "hangin' out, down the street, same 'ol thing, we did last week" was our mantra. It was a simpler time with simple pleasures. A quart of Olympia beer and some weed, we had it made.

3 comments:

  1. Also, we hung out on the water towers.

    Was Blane, Kelso?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking as a student of film (OK, a minor student) what would have been the ultimate self-referential scene That 70's Show, would have been to show the kids watching Happy Days. So we get a 2007-ish show about kids in 1977-ish watching a real-life 1977-ish show about kids in 1957-ish. AND, to further the irony, Happy Days' pilot episode was about how Richie's family was the first on the block to have a TV.

    When film refers to itself, it is intentional on the part of the director. I learned that in film class.

    I need togo back and rewatch Dazed and Confused now and relate that in the same way Vance has done with That 70's Show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if Blane was stupid enough to be Kelso, it was probably Brian. I wish we had a mom next door that looked like Mrs Penciatti. Oh, those sweaters....grrrrr. We did have the 'Photo Hut' but the spokesman was George Gobel. Rick and I wanted so bad to take the George 'standie' and place him in the truck and drive around with Rick behind the lifesize photo of George and wave at people as we drove by. We fuckin' laughed for hours over that stunt idea. Did we ever do it?

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick