Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oscar Night: A Tribute


In honor of tonight's Academy Awards presentations, I wanted to share this rare photo with you. This was one of our own great Oscar wins back in the 80s. Vance was in his "Benadryl Chic" period here, looking a little skinny and strung-out. Plus he's wearing pearls and some sort of black lace dress. To understand Vance's career at that time, you have to think "Bastard lovechild of Johnny Depp and both Mary-Kate and Ashley Olson. Vance won Best Actor for his role as Ronald Reagan in "Bonzo goes to Hooters." My wins -- I got 4 that night -- were not quite the caliber of Vance's Best Oscar, but I did pick up Best Friend, Best Rug, Best Western Motor Inn, and Best Wiener. It wasn't until years later when I went to pawn the coveted trophies that I found out that, not only were there no such categories, but that my Oscars were, in fact, nothing more than old G.I.Joes that had been spray-painted gold.

1 comment:

  1. Oscar, smascer. The only thing I regret about that night was that I left 2 drinks on the table. About my outfit that night. That was NOT a dress, it was Keith Richards jacket that he left in my hotel room at the Peabody in Memphis the week before. Sure, the pearls were mine, what of it. The Oscar win was cool for a while but I traded the statue for a Impala stationwagon in Flagstaff, Arizona. After a month of doing peyote with some indian chicks, the Impala was gone and so was the jacket. I still have the pearls and a shot glass from Osacr night, not so bad really. Thats how Rick and I roll.

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick