Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's Official


I've always been a big fan of the word Official. But like in the "Official Secret Decoder Ring" sense.

But today's news is Official, but not in that sense. Yesterday afternoon I got a phone call from the director of the Creative Writing Program at UNM to let me know that I'd been accepted into the MFA (Masters of Fine Arts)for next fall. This was a huge relief for me as I'd been sweating it out.

The next step is to somehow get awarded a teaching assistantship, which means that A.) I won't pay any tuition, B.) I'll get paid about $20K for two semesters, and C.) I'll have health care again. In other words, I'll get paid to get a Masters degree. Of course I will have to teach English to a bunch of college freshmen, but hell. I can do that.

I hope.

4 comments:

  1. Cheers, mate! I know this is something that you have wanted for a long time. I couldn't be happier for you, unless of coarse the job came with a 20 year, 11 million dollar option to be paid quarterly. Then we could fly to Nepal and ride on a yak. Remember how we would sit for hours and dream of riding a yak along the switchbacks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro, someday when I'm a well known and in demand writier, I will convince some publisher to send us to Nepal for "reaserch"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or at least a writer who can spell "writer."

    ReplyDelete
  4. UPDATE: I got official written confirmation from both the English department and the University that I'm in.

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick