Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Moonpie One: Pages 21 & 22

Here's part three on threefer Tuesday. (Threefer Madness?! Hah!)
Anyway, here is where things get going. We start with a diagonal continuance of the last sentence
"[...]I wouldn't be able to take it. Rick, Dammit!"
And I guess that kind of is the point of all of this Blog. Well, except for the goofy shit, but part of it is an examination of friendship and why thing are the way they are. I'm really just pulling shit out my ass right now because my allergies are killing me and I feel like clawing my eyes out of my fucking skull...
Ummm. Sorry. Sorry everyone. (He killed my auntie!) Sorry!

Anywayyyy..... these three pages needed to get posted first so we can discuss them.

And continuing on, we can see that at least three pages were ripped out of the book. Vance writes and explanation (obviously later, hence the blue ink.)
"These pages were ripped out soon after writing them. I (Vance) must've been really stoned/depressed. All the stuff I wrote made me sound gay for Rick. I was not confident enough then to leave the writing alone. Sorry. Vance."
On the next page, held in with photo corners, is a signed bet that Vance and I made regarding the status of Vance's mustache. This was made when I finally did come home on leave in October of 1976. The bet reads
"On oct. 29, 1976, A bet was made. Rick sez that Vance will not have a half way decently full mustach. Hench! on October 29, 1977, the loser owes the winner $10.00."
and it's signed by Vance and me. Above the note, we see that Richard Cleary put up $1 on the bet and it is signed by Vance and Richard.
Below the note, I added (years later) that
"Vance lost and didn't pay up until late '83."


I'd also like to note that as of the posting of this here post right here, The Moonpie Chronicles Online has broken the 500th Unique visitor mark. And all the people said "Amen."

9 comments:

  1. Again, I'll just say that whatever I wrote on those three pages (I honestly can't remember what was written), I'm sure I tore them out because I sounded too gay. "NOT THAT THERES ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT" - 'The Don and Mike Show'. But I came across those pages some months after they were written and said to myself, "self, that sounds gay".I ripped them out. Today, I'm sorry that they are missing. I'm sure that the pages held something along the lines of: Rick was my buddy and I really missed him. Ya know, being in High School is enough of a drag without losing your best friend days after school is all over, I was fucking bummed.Only one person before Rick understood my "stupid white-boy" humor. That guy was David Court in Memphis. We made a mock radio station in his bedroom and would go on for hours playing records and reading commercials as if someone was actually listening. We were comic/programming superstars. "Got that yam!" was our signature phrase for 2 years after reading a parody about a hunter who shot a sweet potato and tied it to his bumper to carry the 'kill' back home. (Now, if you don't think thats funny, you get the hell outta here right now!) I moved from Memphis to New Mexico and loved the mountains, but was searching for another "got that yam" kindda guy, Rick was it. Our new phrase was "want to buy a cookie?". This makes little sense to the masses, but this is the kindda shit Rick and I built a friendship on. It worked for us and still does. We took a 30 year break and now we've reunited. I love the guy and thats what makes this so special to me.

    The mustach thing....it's true, but hey, I PAID UP!

    And Rick just pulling shit outta his ass....now thats funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Got that yam"! Hilarious!

    All this is news to me, but it makes so much sense as to why Vance and I became friends.

    Likewise, I had a buddy back in Rochester, NY, that was that sort of friend, and it took three years after moving here to find a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So maybe that's what this is all about. Maybe it's the discovery that, in the end, a friend isn't the guy who comes to bail you out of jail at three in the morning. A friend is the person who's on the inside of the inside joke. A friend doesn't just have your back, he's got that yam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The post that was removed was a duplicate of ;Amen. No big deal or mystery here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But if you said it twice, doesn't that make it an inside joke? No.... guess not.

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick