Saturday, February 28, 2009

Old motorcycles

The adobe garage in the old backyard in Albuquerque was my small workshop for two of my favorite old motorcycles. The Norton and the BMW. Both bikes came to me by way of trades. First was the Bimmer. I traded my 1978 Honda 750 for the BMW to a guy on the west side. The BMW was a 1975, R75/5 in excellant shape. The bike never gave me a minute of trouble and I ended up selling the bike to Joe, a paint and body shop owner in town. The Norton was the result of trading my 1970 International Travelall to "Buster" out on South 14. The bike was stored in a corn silo and buried in 3 feet of cowboy boots. Don't ask me how that came to be, I really don't want to know, I just wanted the Norton. We struck a deal and I came up the following weekend with fresh gas and a battery charger. After several hours on the charger, the bike came to life. I rode the thing back to Abq. with no lights, no brake light and marginal brakes. Anyway, I got it to the garage. Wow, I was so happy. Rick, my next door neighbor at the time was also happy. He owned the Metaphysical bookstore in a house that is no longer on the corner of Lead and Harvard. He rode a BMW and actually offered to fund the opening of a repair shop for motorcycles if I was game. I respectfully declined but would tinker on Ricks bike when he needed a hand.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, where was the bottom picture taken? I notice you've got your 5th Chapter patches on your vest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pic. was in Albuquerque the day we put Jay, another 5th Chapter member in the ground. That was 1987 and this picture best shows why you should not do meth. You will notice the 'black band' around what is suppose to be my arm.

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick