Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Moonpie 1: Pages 5 and 6

Here are pages 5 and 6 from the book. This is another one that will need to be rescanned -- bits of it were cut off.

On the left side, we see a photo of Vance holding several Cokes. I believe this was taken outside the Circle K that used to be next to Eldorado (Now a pet supply store.) He's wearing his Mangy Moose Saloon T-shirt from Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Also note the rodeo-style belt buckle, which was from Philmont Boy Scout Camp in New Mexico. Vance drew in the Green antennae.

At the top of the page, the complete text reads
"The ever Alert AND intellegante (sic) Vance Deniston"
At the bottom, it reads
"Vance here is co-author of the book and also provided most of the photo graphs.”
To the right side, we see the first actual journal entry which is dated May 26 (1976). If the day is accurate, the number one song in the country was the dorktastic "Silly Love Songs" by Paul McCartney and Wings. Peter Frampton was on the cover of Rolling Stone (this was when both Frampton and Rolling Stone were still cool*. Also, Frampton and I both still had hair. Martin too.
But, I don't think the date is accurate in the least remotest possible way. I say this because I think we'd have about graduated by this date -- and we hadn’t. Back then, School didn't let out until June. Also, there is a later entry dated May 6th. Perhaps this was April 26th? Plus I think my cast was off by this point. More on that later.)
The text reads
"The debate has come up on wether (sic) or not to hitch hike to Memphis or take a bus. Rick and I are for hitching and Martin would prefer to take a bus. Shit. Decisions, decisions.” **
Below that is the large, John Hancock-like signature of Jeff Speck. We believe this is Jeff Speck today. Click Here and call Jeff if you need any remodeling in Albuquerque.
Below Jeff's signature, Vance has written
"The above signature belongs to a kind-hearted fool who bought some climbing equipment from Vance to help Vance have enough money to live in Memphis for a while.”
You know, it wasn't until I started scanning this book that I realized that Vance wrote and assembled nearly the entire thing. Good on ya, mate! My real contributions to the entire collection came in the form of letters -- which were like mini books in themselves. Unfortunately the remaining copies of these have dwindled over the years. There's really only one letter left, which appears in the companion book to this volume.

I was thinking about it the other day. If I had all the stuff I've written over the years, along with all the photos I've taken, I think it would fill a small warehouse. Even just the photos. I've probably got less than 1% of all the photos I've taken over the years. Kind of sucks.

Ah well. As usual, if this image is hard to read, click on it. OK? I'm kind of tire of having to tell you that.

*Oddly enough, this week, Bruce Springsteen is on the cover of Rolling Stone, and I think Bruce is one of the coolest dudes ever. We never even heard of Bruce in NM during High School in Albuquerque!
**Fucking Martin, eh? This first entry was probably the beginning of the end of the whole thing.

4 comments:

  1. I carried that book around with me for several weeks at school, prehaps the only book I took to Eldorado. Speck, Pullen, Snowberger and Crabtree each singed their names in Moonpie. I'm sure they had no idea 30 odd years later this would surface, thank God we aren't running for the Senate.

    Ricks contribution to the book overall is more than Rick lets on. I may have shot photos and scribbled abit but this was my attempt to impress Rick. Rick was a great cartoonist with an artistic mind that I envied. I did recieve at least 30-35 letters from Rick over the years. Some arrived from Germany, a envelope packed to overflowing with Coasters. The entire letter was written on coasters while Rick was drinking in a pub. Beer stains were on the coasters to prove they were used. Some letters were like 13 pages long, written with a magic marker front and back. Letters were mailed to me with titles like, "the resident Jesus Christ". Or note to the FBI on the back of envelopes to 'check this for drugs.' Some letters were unreadable. Rick had several of these episodes( either Rick had a fever or...)and the letter would ramble on about God knows what. I would need Rick to dechipher these at another time; I just put them away. In the Army, Rick was very homesick and hated everything about the Army. We did our best to stay in touch but I confess that I only replied to one in five of Ricks letters. I will find these letters somewhere, I have got to have them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait. YOU were trying to impress ME? I was trying to impress YOU!

    Oh, for Jesus. All that wasted time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thing I would do was to write Vance's address on the return address, and then for the main address put some fake address in Tokyo or Moscow. Of course it would get returned to him with all kinds of cool foreign rejection stamps. I may have even done this trick once without using stamps.

    Man. If I had all those letter, what a cool book could be made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not giving up. I WILL FIND THEM!

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick