Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hunter S. Thompson


I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
~ Hunter S. Thompson

Hunter S. Thompson was a huge influence on me from the first (of countless) time I read “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.” For many years I could recite the first chapter by heart. Even now I remember…
“We were somewhere near Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take effect. I remember saying something like, ‘Maybe you should take the wheel,” when suddenly the sky was filled with what looked like huge bats.”
I think I first read it when I was in the Army cooking school at Ft. Dix, New Jersey. It was not a good thing for me to have, but have it I did and I emulated Thompson’s excesses to… umm… excess.

More later….

6 comments:

  1. I saw the original movie "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" with Mark Freeman on one of my return trips to Memphis. I told Mark how cool this movie would be and we went downtown to watch a early show. Mark left confused and saying that he didn't really get it. I understood his reaction but keep it to myself. Gonzo was a way of life that not many people could phathom. Gonzo lifestyle seemed to fit Rick and I to a tee. I could go along with all of Hunters antics until the bitter end. He failed me at that point. How could a guy with so much talent, off himself in the end? I've not forgiven him for that act as of yet. I supposed that he would go on to even more antics and writing that would entertain us abit longer. Ether soaked towels, bats in the desert and droptop Caddies were a way of life. Hunter, what happened? Sorry if I have been a downer on this topic, I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least he had the foresight to ask for his ashes to be blasted into space.

    I remember seeing him on Letterman. He'd brought a brick of firecrackers to light off. Dave took them away.

    Also, note: Johnny Depp's movie version of the film kicked ass and followed the book pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never saw that version. I'll have to rent it this weekend. "Down Bronco....good boy."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude,as the Apostle Paul would say, it's most excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have a full review on Monday. Wait..."WHO's tapping the phone?"

    " I really think third down conversions are going to be the key. Go long Rose, I'll hit you by the bar..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick