Saturday, February 21, 2009

Seekers.....

"What happened to Mrs. Hogwaller?"
"She r-u-n-d o-f-t."
"She must have been seeking answers." - "O brother were art thou"

In life, when you find that you are seeking answers, be careful, you may find them. Rick and I have always been 'seeking' something and I'm not sure what that was. Rick went his way and I went mine for years apart to seek these things we call answers. Rick put one line in a blog that he was working with my name in it. I somehow found that and all of a sudden, we re-unite after all these years. The same has happened with old girlfriends....humm, what to do now. You see, years ago everyone had a life going on that is pretty much very differant than whats happening today. But what happened years ago "is" part of your life and nothing can change that, even today. History is history and it will not change, there is no 'time-machine' to make your lifes past 'not' happen. And what, if anything, do you tell your spouse today about re-uniting with your past? I chose to tell the wife everything up front to avoid the possible problems down the road. Janet has seen and read "Moonpie" from front to back and has even commented on the site. But, a little harder is the fact that an old girlfriend has found me as a result of "Moonpie". Me, I take it in stride and chug ahead with little problem. What does the wife think of 'Arizona' finding me and e-mailing photos and asking questions about my life today? Humm..I think all is cool. I wear my heart on my sleeve and always have. To me, my life is a open book for all the world to see and I think thats how it will stay. I sought answers about my real father only to find out last week that he's been dead for years....kind of a drag, even though he was a total dick, he was my father. Do I wish that I didn't seek the answers? No, not really. Do I wish Rick and I had not reunited? Never. Was I suprised to hear from Bridget in Arizona? Yes, but pleasantly suprised and happy to hear that she is doing well. See, we had a short time together that was complicated at best. Do I shut the door on all past relationships and act as if they never happened? No. What does all this have to do with "Moonpie" or two old friends reuniting, everything. Friend, embrace your past and don't be affraid of the life you have lived. You are today the sum of your entire past, good and bad. Press on, move forward and do not fear what you seek. If you are bold enough to seek answers, be bold enough to accept them, good or bad. I'm glad for everyday that I have experianced and would change very little in my past. Go and seek the answers to your life, just be ready for anything.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome post man. True as it is, it's been very hard for me to accept some of my past.

    I've got a kid out there that I've never met. I've got some things in my past that were just a total waste -- years of my life I'll never get back. Sometimes you gotta keep what works and throw out the rest.

    I was just thinking about this today. I was down at Circuit City going through their discounted DVDs. I saw "Gumball Rally" and I remembered that great line that I try to live by....
    "The first rule of Italian driving is that (rips off rear-view mirror and tosses into the back seat) What's behind you is not important." ~ Team Ferrari's Franco Bertollini

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I'm diggin' all the Oh Brother..." quotes. I love the Coen Brothers movies. My favorite by them is "The Big Lebowski."

    I wrote a screenplay for a class in which one of the main characters was a 4 year old autistic boy who only spoke in quotes from The Big Lebowski.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ironically, that line from "Gumball" has been a staple in my conversations for YEARS. But I can dig what you are saying about some of the past. There are era's of my life I just as soon forget. But hey, here we are and let's just move forward and see what happens. I don't want another 7 or 8 years of not communicating with people from my past. Unless it's the ex-wife. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the new spouse of said writer(who by the way cannot spell worth a damn) everyone has a past. You cannot change it. You may wonder "how the hell did we live through it" as I often comment to him. He has lived enough for the both of us. I listen to the adventures of the Stormtroopers almost daily. When I first heard these tales I just shook my head and said this guy is so full of shit.. No one could have done all this and lived to tell tales so wild.. On my first trip to NM I soon found out that he was telling the gods honest truth. Now, I listen to the stories about the wild and crazy times and laugh.

    His past has made him who he is today. Good or Bad it is over and now we move to the future, laugh at the things we did in the past, thank god we made it through and hope that along the way we did some really special things and touched someones life.

    I love him for who he is now and who he was then. Our future looks pretty darn good from here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks babe.

    "Honey, you're the greatest." -Ralph Cramton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the past... It is there for a reason.. Sometimes we forget the "real" past and how things really were and it becomes a glorious fantasy. That is what you have to beware of. Because by making the past something it wasn't you can hurt the present and destroy the future.. So be careful what you seek.. Keep it real and know how lucky you are to have made it to the present and be glad for the new memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick