Sunday, February 15, 2009

I mentioned before that I did a bit of hitchhiking in my day, and that now, my son is off in Washingon State trying to get a ride thirty miles away. I was thinking about this one trip I took, where I wound up mostly broke in Port Angeles, Washington. I walked a very good portion of the way back to Ft. Lewis. I was thinking that it was about 40 or 50 miles. Turns out it was more like 113. I did it in a day, too.

I'd thumbed up to Vancouver for the weekend, and gone out to see Victoria on the island. I decided to take the ferry back, not realizing how far Port Angeles was from where I needed to be.

On the ferry I met a girl that I went to school with at Eldorado. She was staying with an aunt in Sequim. They aunt gave me a ride that far, but wouldn't let me spend the night. I ended up sleeping in a fireworks booth.

I do remember one ride I got that took me from out on the Olympic penninsula and onto I-5 in Tacoma, but that was not too big a stretch. The whole point is that, in regards to hitchhiking to Memphis, this is the sort of thing I did without thinking it out. Memphis would probably have ended up being such a trip.

I just remembered I've got a photo of me on this trip. I'll track that down and post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick