Saturday, February 7, 2009

Whats a Typewriter?

"Elite or Pica", you decide the print size and of course there were over 45 Fonts to choose from in the '7o's.
What you are looking at is an IBM 'element' that you could switch with ease. $20.00 ea. in those days unless you bought the knockoffs for $14.00. Today, these are just landfill. After my stint as a busboy/dishwasher and trying my hand at the hardware trade working at Baldridge Lumber, I became a typewriter repairman. First working at Sandia business machines on San Mateo and then hitting the big-time and landing a job at Albuquerque Public schools Maintenance and operations division. My first lesson there was to SLOW DOWN, I was repairing machines too quickly. (What's green and sleeps three? APS work truck.) Today the trucks are white and not that awful seafoam green. In the first job I would go to Kirtland AFB and pickup all the repair slips that had been called in the previous 24hrs. I'd finish the base by noon, blow another doobie and head for the office to pickup repair calls for downtown. APD, The courts, both Fed. and county and other city agencies. I was the hot lick in those days and the women in those offices would literally run to hug me when the elevator door would open, this was heaven. This was in the day of two Martini lunches, pre-sexual harassment laws and half the secretaries wore very short skirts and tight ass tops. I made decent money too. I just knew this would last forever. At the schools, I would go into the classrooms during school hours with tons of 'chicks' everywhere. I'd be at parties on the weekends where the students were and was meeting the teachers at nightclubs on weeknights. I could write a book on this topic of being a repairman in those days. But what I want to say is "Plastics.” .......Remember that line from The Graduate? Imagine if at that moment you had invested in plastics, yep, you'd be rich. Move ahead several years from that movie and another repairman friend of mine says, "I'm going to take a class at TVI on repairing Pac’s, you want to go with me?" Drum roll please...bbbbbbrrrrrbbbbrrrrrbbbbbrrrrrbbbbbrrrrrr. And I quote, "Naw, fuck man, these things (typewriters) will be around forever.”
There you have it, it's official, I may in fact be the stupidest person alive. Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself and be the brunt of a joke from time to time, get the fuck outta here.

4 comments:

  1. Well? What are you waiting for? Write it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the by, I'm impressed with your graphic here.

    Also, We've broken 300 visitors. I want to know who the fuck reads this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the graphic on some typewriter site and saved it into my doc's. I saw that 297 had visited by early this am. I really should write a short story on the adventures of the "Angel Fight typewriter repairman",a study of 1977. A story of how IBM selectrics and blow were all the rage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd venture to say it's never been done.

    ReplyDelete

Spam and rudeness will not be tolerated. We're here to have a few grins, and if you can't abide, move along. Did I mention Spam? Because if I didn't, here it is. NO SPAM!! That includes saying you like our blog and it's thought-provoking (which we know is a lie) and here's a link to your blog. Basically, if you link post a link to a for-profit site without the express written consent of me or the Big Vance-a-rino, I'll delete your comment and you'll look like an ass or I'll mock you mercilesly for being a dork.
~Peace & Love,
Rick